You are here:
  1. Canada
  2. Credential recognition
  3. Recognition of Canadian Credentials in Spain
  4. Do I need to recognize, validate or request the equivalence of my university degree?


Do I need to recognize, validate or request the equivalence of my university degree?

Depending on your profession, you will have to apply for recognition, validation or equivalence of your degree.

According to Spanish regulations, professions are grouped into three categories. Depending on the category to which your profession belongs, you will have to meet certain requirements for it to be accepted in Spain.

  1. Non-regulated professions: these are professions that can be practiced without the need for recognition. However, you will have to obtain an equivalency if you want your degree to be accepted in Spain.
  2. Regulated professions: these are professions that require an official Spanish university degree. Therefore, you will need to have your foreign degree recognized in order to practice your profession.Salto de línea
  3. Regulated professions that require a qualifying degree: these are professions that, in addition to being regulated, require a special master's degree in order to practice the profession. In this case, you will have to validate your degree.

The application for equivalence or recognition will therefore depend on whether your profession is considered regulated or not. However, the requirements you must meet for both applications are the same.


The following is a list of regulated professions that require recognition:

  • Physician
  • Veterinarian
  • Nurse
  • Physiotherapist
  • Dentist
  • Pharmacist
  • Speech therapist
  • Optical-optometrist
  • Podiatrist
  • Occupational therapist
  • Dietician-nutritionist
  • Mining engineer
  • Forestry technical engineer
  • Naval technical engineer
  • Industrial technical engineer
  • Telecommunications technical engineer
  • Topography technical engineer
  • Technical architect
  • Early Childhood Education Teacher
  • Primary education teacher
  • Mining engineer
  • Industrial Engineer
  • Aeronautical Engineer
  • Civil engineer
  • Telecommunications Engineer
  • Professor of Compulsory Secondary Education and Baccalaureate, Vocational Training and Language Teaching
  • Aeronautical Technical Engineer
  • Agricultural Technical Engineer
  • Forestry Engineer
  • Public works technical engineer
  • Agronomist Engineer
  • Naval and oceanic engineer

Professions that require a specific master's degree in addition to an approved undergraduate degree. For this group of professions, it is necessary to take a master's degree that allows the degree to be validated at a Spanish university.

  • Architect
  • General health psychologist
  • Lawyer
  • Court attorney
If your profession is not on this list, it means that it is not regulated and you will have to apply for equivalency.

Esta web utiliza cookies propias para facilitar la navegación y cookies de terceros para obtener estadísticas de uso y satisfacción.

Puede obtener más información en el apartado "Cookies" de nuestro aviso legal.